Originally the Histon Baptist Chapel, when the new chapel was opened Chivers agreed to purchase the old one on Histon Green to convert into a Men's Institute and on March 9th, 1903 it was officially opened. It soon became a lively venue for all types of indoor recreation under the control of the secretary, Mr C S Gifford, who was to hold the post for 31 years and had previously been the Impington Postmaster. Facilities included a reading room, billiards and snooker(2 tables), table tennis, darts and a gym.
A Girl's Institute, which proofed less popular, was based at the Firs.
On August 4th, 1904 the Men's Institute formed their own football team and the Chivers family kindly provided a field near to the Station and the Windmill for their's and the cricket team use. Both the football and cricket teams were later to move to the New Road Recreation, which was first used by the football team in 1924.
On November 13th, 1908 a Gymnastic Club, which often proformed at local events, was formed with Mr Burt as the instructor. 1910 saw the formation of a Bowls Club on April 29th and a strip of grass behind the club being provided for their use. It was big enough for just two rinks. The same year saw gas also being installed and as a result hot baths could be provided at the cost of 1d. Many houses in the villages at that time did not have bathrooms or hot water.
With the outbreak of the First World War, a minature rifle range was provided and opened on November 20th.
1934 saw alot of changes at the Institute following the building of an two room extension at the back to accomdate table tennis, the library and the reading room. A canteen was also installed in the main building. At the same time the old gallery was removed form the main hall and this allowed badminton to be played at the Institiute for the first time. In 1935 a mixed badminton club was founded. The billiards/snooker tables were also re-clothed and new cushions fitted in 1934, at the same time as overhead lights being installed.
As a result of a sucessful drama class, ran at Impington Hall, an amateur dramatics society was founded at the Institute in 1935 and their productions included plays like 'The Sparrow Falls'.
With the opening of the Village College in Septemer 1939, the activities of the Men's Institute moved up the adult wing of the college.
Since the days as the Men's institute the former Baptist Chapel has been used for various things including by the Royal Engineers during the first part of the Second War War, as a storeroom by Chivers and in 1960 the exhibition specialists, Kortens moved in. After they moved to larger premises it was converted into four apartments in 2004.