Dellas Oates, wife of Ken Oates, wrote this about Homefield several years ago:
"This was situated on the Histon and Impington boundary in the heart of the two villages. Built in 1910 on the site of a previous house called Victoria House, which was the home of Stephen Chivers (the founder of the factory).
Homefield was first occupied by Stephen Chivers (Jnr) and then by Mr Rhodes (a brother-in-law and the first Company Secretary), followed by Mr and Mrs John Chivers and family. When Mrs Chivers died during the ear (1939-45) Homefield became a training annexe for Addenbrooke's Hospital, afterwards becoming a hostel for the Company's Nursing Sisters and visitors needing accommodation. It then became the home of Mr and Mrs Stanley Chivers and family, the last of the family to live there. Later Mr and Mrs Chivers moved to the Poplars.
Homefield was a lovely house built with all the best materials and it was sad to see it dismantled in the 1960s. The largen garden drew vegetables and flowers from the factory canteen. The site is now Homefield Park."